Saturday, July 28, 2012

My season in sports

With the Olympics in full swing I thought it would be timely to take a look at my own sports accomplishments lately (okay, that was just a lame excuse to finally put together this post that I have been meaning to do for a month. I've been trough a blog drought lately which has created a loong backlog of blog posts).   


The running season started off with a 5K run with my roller derby team. As you can see I love my aerobics during the warm-up. This was a great race, both because we had such fun and because I made a big improvement compared to last year. Running has been kind to me lately.


Which boded well for my 10k run which took place in June. My time was 53:34 which was over 7 minutes faster than last year's 10k race. Yes I'm the one running in a pale blue polo shirt. Notice my winner's gesture, that was when I saw the clock. I'm such a competitive person and can't help showing it.



After failing the roller derby qualifying test twice I finally nailed it. Three times a charm as they say. To be honest I was about to quit if I didn't make it. Because even though I can be pretty determined, one needs a little encouragement from time to time. The downside was that all that intense training resulted in a knee overuse injury, so now I haven't been able to train properly for a month. This sucks so bad, and my running has been cut way back too. I do think I am recovering now and I've been pretty zealous with the rehab work. But the real proof will be when I return to proper derby training after the summer hiatus.

So right now I am in a bit of limbo training wise, as I'm not able to train at the intensity that I'm used to, which makes exercising feel less rewarding and thus less fun. My next goal is to be fit enough again to do good in the 12h skating games in late August. I'm not actually skating for 12 hours though. We compete in teams of six and take turns during 12 hours. I think it will be mostly inline skaters competing, but our roller derby team is doing it on classic roller skates of course!

2 comments:

  1. absolutely nothing wrong with a good fist pump as you're crossing that finish line!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe, thank you for the support :)

    ReplyDelete