Saturday, January 14, 2012

Life through a Holga lens

My daughter and my dad.

My eldest daughter got a Holga lens for her birthday. The lens is made for digital cameras, but mimics the original film camera lens. Of course these days most folks add Holga, Lomo and Diana type of effects with their iPhones (aka Hipstamatic) which gives more consistent and generally more striking images. But the side effect is that it has also lead to a look that feels rather overexposed (pun somewhat intended).

Today we went for a walk in the woods and brought our cameras with us, and I thought I should share some Holga images that my daughter and I took. The results are not nearly as distinct as Hipstmatic but I personally prefer it this way and my daughter was happy with the results too.







I think the lens adds an analog camera quality to the digital pictures. It doesn't work indoors however as it needs plenty of light and it basically turns your fancy DSLR to a point and click camera. I think a lens like this just cost around $30 on Ebay and it weighs only marginally more than a paper cup.

3 comments:

  1. Its so great you posted this, I was just considering buying one of those lenses off ebay rather than an actual holga. You're right the shots do look analog but you've got the advantage of being able to take dozens :o) There's a Diana SLR lens too and I'm hunting down some examples of pictures taken with that, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you about the Hipstamatic/Instagram look being a bit 'overexposed' of late! I like the subtlety of these images. Cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. EmilyKate, The Diana lens seems to add a softer, more "romantic" look from what I've seen. I think the lenses complement each other

    ReplyDelete