Saturday, November 12, 2011

Getting married




Last year I did a wedding dress for someone else, and this year it was for myself! I was a bit mum about the purpose of this dress, because some people in my extended personal circle reads (or at least looks at) this blog occasionally. And I was not sure how I felt about blaring this stuff here and there, since we had only told the closest friends and family beforehand. If it was just all you regular sewing readers I wouldn't have minded at all, but sometimes I have to look at the bigger picture. Though I unintentionally put a clue out over a year ago, when I rambled about what kind of dress I would make for my own wedding. Such is the world of blogging, it has a life of its own.

We had a mellow civil ceremony and it was just lovely and beautiful in every way. It was at at local 1800-mansion - normally civil weddings in Sweden is a very toned down and bureaucratic affair, but since it was 11-11-11 they put on the full monty. We even had our little musical ensemble, from which we could pick a number of songs like In the ghetto by Elvis, which we thought was a novel choice for a wedding. We ended up choosing With or without you by U2, a song that I have strong personal connection too, it was even the last vinyl single that I bought. Then afterwards we had dinner at a nice restaurant with our friends/"best mens" and now I'm a married woman :)

43 comments:

  1. Congratulations!!! The dress turned out beautiful, and you look great! Here's to a long and lovely marriage!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! I love a surprise!!!
    You look wonderful and the dress looks good too. I wish you a happy life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. congratulations! you two look so happy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Herzlichen Glückwunsch!" as I would say in german. I wish you both all the very best. You look so stunning in your dress. Timelessly elegant and oh so chic. Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. congrats! i love the dress, you look so stunning in it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Many congratulations and your look beautiful in your wedding finery. That dress is very "you"!

    ReplyDelete
  7. congratulations, and many years of happiness together.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations and many good wishes for you both! (Oh, and your dress is lovely.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations!!! I am so impressed by your secret keeping powers. You look stunning in this dress. What a beautiful woman, dress and day. Again, congratulations and best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So exciting, congratulations! You look amazing in your new dress.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations! That dress was worth every last minute stitch. It's perfect on you for a very special occasion! Best wishes for future happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations Johanna. Wishing you both many happy years.

    Terry

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much for all the congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations! I wish you all the best:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beautiful dress for a beautiful bride.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations!!!! What a wonderful surprise. You are a beautiful in this dress.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations! The dress is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations, and many happy years! You look lovely and very happy in your beautiful dress.

    ReplyDelete
  19. WOW, so exciting! Many happy years! And what an amazingly beautiful bride!

    ReplyDelete
  20. GRATTIS!! The dress looks beautiful, as do you! Hope you have a fabulous first weekend as a married couple.

    And here was me thinking you probably had a fancy christmas party to go to!

    ReplyDelete
  21. CONGRATULATIONS , you look so happy and beautiful :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congratulations! I cannot believe you finished your dress about an hour before you had to go for your own wedding! So relaxed.. a great way to have a wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congratulations! No wonder you were a little stressed about sewing until the last minute! The dress is lovely though and you look great in it. I wish you both every happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congratulations! Apparently there was a record number of Chinese weddings on 11/11/11 because of the luck associated with the date. I wish you both a long and happy life together.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Congratulations! You are beautiful in your dress! So elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Congratulations! You (and the dress) look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Congratulations, you look beautiful and happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Congratulations! I saw your title and picture in my reader and thought gee did I overlook a mention the dress was for your wedding in your previous posts?! You look lovely :o)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Congratulations! You look lovely in your beautiful dress!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Congrats and great dress!
    Did you make your man's shirt too? with the red buttons/buttonholes and contrast interior placket?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Beautiful! Congratulations to both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Congratulations! You and your new hubby make such a lovely couple. I love that you made your wedding dress right under our very noses and we did not suspect a thing.

    ReplyDelete
  33. ooh congratulations to both of you! You look so happy!! What a great surprise. :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Congratulations! Wishing you much happiness!

    You look timeless in your beautiful dress.

    ReplyDelete
  35. CONGRATULATIONS!!!! So happy for you. Your dress is fabulous and you both look great. Honeymoon plans?

    ReplyDelete