Monday, October 3, 2011

Covers exhibition


Cover.

Original.

Cover.

Original.


Muslin beauties.

After yesterday's roller derby practice I took off my sweaty clothes and changed into jeans so that I would feel at least mildly presentable at the local design museum Röhsska, which I blog about now and then. Currently my fomer summer school teacher has curated an exhibition with students from the Swedish design university. He has employed the same principles that he thought us "study the great and you will develop your own design sense".

The students had picked one garment each from the cocktail dress exhibition, which features work from designers like Jean Paul Gaultier, Ossie Clark and Elsa Schiaparelli. Then they copied the dress, by draping muslin on a dummy. Then afterwards they designed their own look, which was inspired by the original garment. Some did a rather literal cover, whilst others did versions that had just a very slight reference to the original. But to me on of the most stunning things was the see the muslin versions of the designer dresses. They were almost as beautiful as the original, sometimes even more because you could see all the style lines and the insane amount of work that goes into high end dresses.

1 comment:

  1. how funny - I just blogged about designer muslins two weeks ago! I wasn't quire sure what you meant by "covers" at first, but now I really like it! If music can have "cover versions", then why not fashion? :)

    ReplyDelete