Monday, September 12, 2011

Roller derby update

Yesterday I had my third roller derby practice, so yes I decided to commit to the sport. It wasn't without angst though. The team is hungry for hitting the competition circuit and wants members who are prepared to put in a lot of effort. As for me, currently, I don't have that time. But I spoke to them about the situation and they were cool with that. Though once you get up to competition level, there will be demands on how many training hours you put in - but that scenario is obviously waaaaay off for me currently.

Me practicing walking on the toe stops. It's harder than it looks!

Me trying to tackle an oppnent so that I can reach the water bottle that she guards. This is not an area where I excel in. The other girl was bigger and much stronger and I couldn't get her to budge. Whereas she just needed to give me a light push and I was defeated. Apparently the best option for tiny players is to learn to skate fast!

As for the sport, it is aggressive, highly technical and very demanding physically - I had DOMS for a week after the first session. What I love the most right now is the technical aspects of roller skating, I have done some decent progress in that area already and I could easily see myself skate around the rink for hours and hours if only my muscles could take it - roller skating is such a high for me. As for the contact sport thingie, I am more nervous as injuries are pretty common. So my strategy is to become a speeding bullet or a jammer as it is called. I have noticed that I'm faster than some of the other newbies, which I think is due to my small frame. So for once I get some real use out of being short!

7 comments:

  1. Det kommer att bli hur bra som helst. Lovar :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are amazing!!! It seems to me that your sports life is as intriguing as your desinging and sewing one :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Missy: Det låter hur lovande som helst ju :-D. Tack!

    Intensywnie Kreatywna: Yes there is plenty going on currently! I have realised that my enthusiasm and energy is highest during the fall. So I'm hoping that the buzz of the roller derby will help me retaining the energy through the winter, which is the season that usually dries me up a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally off topic - but I read in today's paper that 4 people were arrested in Goteborg for suspected terrorist activities, and you're a journalist, but maybe not in this area? Can you point me to further information? No personal interest, just a serious news junkie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Luckylibbet: Yes they have arrested four people, three from Somalia and one from Iraq. They info from the security police is scant, but most likely the target was a Swedish artist who has drawn a derogatory painting of Mohammed. He has been attacked several times, they once even entered his home. So yes we have some scary stuff here too, one suicide bomber last year and a Swedish guy who went around and snipered immigrants for several years before he was caught.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As a side note, I work for a suburbian newspaper. But it just surfaced that the four guys tried to rent a car at a local gas station just before they were arrested, so there is a slight connection to my area in fact.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the update! Today's paper had a little article, but as you say, the police are apparently not releasing much information. Interesting to know that you work for a suburban newspaper.

    ReplyDelete