Saturday, September 17, 2011

No superwoman at all


A comment I got on Facebook today got me thinking about how one's presence on social media sometimes skews the image of a person. I mentioned in my status feed that I had been clubbing yesterday and she commented "it seem like you are out dancing all the time". The truth of the matter is that it was only the second time this year, though granted, the last time was less than two months ago. But the reason it seems like I do this and other things all the time, is that I am very prone to share stuff, both on the blog and on Facebook. For instance I take a lot of photos and often post pictures of outings with family and friends on Facebook. It works as a digital photo album for me, and helps reinforce the fond memories I have of these instances. The same thing with this blog obviously, where I blog about pretty much everything I do that is sewing, fashion and sometimes life related.

But when people say "You got so much stuff going on all the time - I don't know how you do it" I always start to feel self conscious. I mean I do want to talk about the stuff I do and take pride in them too, but on the other hand I don't want to be building an image of myself as an overachieving superwoman. Because I don't feel comfortable in that role at all, and I don't think that is very true to who I am either. Granted I am good at getting stuff done when I have the inclination and I like to have fun in my life. But all in all, my life is fairly mundane. And am very fine with that - I don't want to have a life that is frantic and crazy. So I guess this post is my version of a social media disclaimer!

2 comments:

  1. You appear to have a very happy and lovely life and you should not feel you have to apologize for this :) Being productive and accomplishing goals is very impressive and you should be proud. I've been following your blog for some time and I like reading your posts :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to write this comment yesterday but our Internet provider decided that we did not need Internet access for almost 24 hours :) But to the point - I love the fact that you are sharing so much information about your activities. And I do not consider you overachieving, that for sure. I rather think of you as of a woman who wants to have interesting life, achieve your ambitious goals, have some balance between work, relax, family and other activities. And I think that you should be really proud. Anyway, I would love to read about your work, fashion, sports achievements and about these details from your private life that you decide to share with us - I really appreciate that I have this opportunity.

    ReplyDelete