Sunday, August 28, 2011

Sunday scones



Hope you are having a nice weekend! My favorite weekend breakfast is freshly baked scones. I used to do them almost every weekend, and then stopped for some unexplainable reason. But last week I decided to do them again, and thought I should share my best recipe with you. The basis is a traditional scone recipe that I have tweaked to make it even better. Also I always add oatmeal, which makes them richer in taste.

You'll need:
350 ml white flour (1 2/5 cup)
150 ml oatmeal (3/5 cup)
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp sugar (I like to use raw cane sugar)
50 gram butter (1 2/3 oz) (softened, on the verge of melting, I always microwave it just a tad bit)
200 ml plain yogurt (4/5 cup). You can use everything from low fat to 10% full fat Greek yogurt. Of course the latter will make them even yummier!

1. Blend the dry ingredients. 



 2. Add the butter and blend until the dough is flakey. Usually you'll need to use the fingers to achieve that.

 3. Add the yogurt and blend with a wooden spoon.

  5. The dough should be sticky. Too much flour will make the scones dry.

6. Form two balls and flat them out on a pan lined with baking sheets. The scones should be only about 1 cm (2/5 inches) thick. Then take a knife and split each scone in four pieces and pierce some holes in the scone with a fork.

7. Bake in the oven 250 degrees Celsius (480 F) for just 10 minutes, until a little golden brown. Yummy, yummy.

 10. Enjoy! I eat mine with either hard cheese and bitter orange marmalade or cream cheese with forest berry jam. I love St. Dalfour's French jams that are sweetened only with fruit juices. And I always eat one slice with just melted butter.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! This was great. Just finished eating the scones. Yum is right. I used honey greek yogurt and since we live at altitude, I cooked them about 5 minutes longer at 450 degrees F. Thanks so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sound great - I've never perfected a scone recipe and the addition of oatmeal and yoghurt sound fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mountain Thyme, great to hear that they worked for you too! Interesting to hear about the oven times, I didn't know it differed depending on altitude.

    Jane, do try these, they are easy to make and taste very good :)

    ReplyDelete