Friday, August 26, 2011

My roller derby adventure



(no, this is not a cool new hipstamtic filter, just a whole lot of blurry mobile pics)

When I was 21, I bought a pair of old rollers skates in a charity shop. I soon began skating regularly along a flat well paved sea side promenade in the city where I lived. Like I do with everything that catches my fire, I immersed myself intensely in this activity. I think partly it was a way to cope with a very troubled relationship I had at the time, plus the fact that I was living in a city that I didn't particularly like or had much friends in. After maybe six months of skating, I moved way up north, to the country side, and had to give on this sport due to lack of skating opportunities (dirt roads and roller skates doesn't blend very well). But I kept the skates and even brought them to New York in 1996 where I skated in Central Park. This was at the height of the inline/rollerblade trend mind you, but I did see one other guy skating old school style. 

Fast forward to yesterday, when me and a friend went to a roller derby try-out. I haven't been standing on skates for almost 15 years and the low-top roller derby skates doesn't have the kind of support like regular skates does, which requires even more attention to balance. The trainers ran us through a though 2 hour program, trying out various techniques. I did fall a few times and was pretty much spent during the final 30 minutes, but I enjoyed it so much! I don't have much natural inclinations when it comes to sports, but with roller skating I can feel a certain bond. My body works well with these kinds of demands. That said I still got ways to go before I can master many of the moves that we tried out yesterday. 

I am now pondering joining the team, but still need to figure out if I can:
A. Take on another commitment without feeling stressed.
B. Are sure enough of this sport to spend muchas $$$ on equipment.

But it would be fun to once again being able to immerse myself in roller skating. 

4 comments:

  1. Roller derby! You look totally tough and ready to rumble. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a lot fun. I might need a few tattoos though to fully blend in. But that might be my rebellion, doing roller derby sans tattoos ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do it! It sounds like a lot of fun. I'd love to join one, but I don't know how to skate.

    Have you seen the movie Whip It, with Ellen Paige and Drew Barrymore?

    ReplyDelete