Saturday, May 21, 2011

Swedish pancakes


When I wrote about Swedish waffles I got a question about about Swedish pancakes in the comment section, so I figured I could share a recipe for that too. Thin pancakes are not entirely easy to succeed with so I enlisted my very skilled daughter Stella to help me out. Here goes!


You'll need:
3 eggs
2 tablespoons of butter
1 cup wheat flour (2,5 dl)
1/2 teaspoon salt
2.2/5 cup of milk (6 dl)
(yields approx. 10 pancakes)





Pour the flour and salt in a bowl.


Add half of the milk and whisk the batter smooth. This is to avoid lumps. 


When the batter is smooth add the rest of the milk. 


And whisk some more.


Add the eggs and whisk again
 

Melt the butter and whisk until the butter is blended.


A little tired from the work week and ready for some frying pan action.


The pan should be properly heated before you start. We did a lot of experimenting and came to the conclusion that the heat should be slightly above medium, for us this meant 6-7 on 12 range stove. Add some butter. A slightly bigger piece the first time (see above), and then just a teaspoon or none at all.


Pour the batter thinly. It should just about cover the pan.



When the upper side has set, flip the pancake over.


I could eat this photo.



My daughter styled all the pancakes. Her sister got the sugar version, I got the cottage cheese, which was very yummy.

9 comments:

  1. They look delicious and they look like what we call "crepes".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think they are almost the same yes. What we eat in Sweden is pretty much a derivation of the French pancake

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! We used to make and eat these all the time when I was a kid. And yes, Swedish Pancakes, not crepes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I might make them this weekend! Actually i made the ice coffee this morning. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those look so good! There is a Swedish cultural center here in Seattle and they have a pancake breakfast once a month; we keep meaning to go but haven't yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. the pancake must be one of the most universally enjoyed foods. If you added more cottage or cremed cheese and a few sultanas you'd have a Jewish blintz.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd add a small French trick - if you leave the finished batter to 'rest' in a cool place (like the fridge) for say an hour (overnight is fine too) before the frying pan action, the results are somewhat smoother.
    Yumm. Try nutella too. Or lemon with your sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So nice to hear that the recipie was appreciated and thank you for the additional suggestions, and Marie-Christine, that is a great tip, we used that too, for like 15 minutes but I forgot to blog about it. I was too tired from the pancake making :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you! I was the one who asked whether the waffle recipe is the same as the pancake recipe. This makes my day and I can't wait to try it out!

    ReplyDelete