Monday, May 2, 2011

My camera guide


I bought my first Nikon DSLR camera (a D50)  five years ago and it was truly a great investment. While there are people who manages to create amazing pictures with a plain point and shoot camera, most of us will not. The equipment does matter and don't let any one trick you to believe otherwise. So I want to talk a bit about my equipment. While my D50 was still working I decided to upgrade to a D90 when it went on sale earlier this year. Mostly because it works better in dark environments. It also has video recording abilities, but I have not used that one at all, unfortunately. I can very much recommend this camera, it is similar to the pro cameras that we have at work, but with a much more accessible price tag. But cheaper Nikons tend to be good too. Have not used Canon, but I've heard god things about their Rebel models.


My lenses:
I only have two. The standard kit lens (pictured above) which is a 18-55mm. It is a brilliant little lens, lightweight, inexpensive and creates really good photos. Most lenses tend to be heavy and big, but this makes the camera very portable. Not perfect for far away objects, due to its small size, but for everything else it is great

Photos taken with the Nikon 18-55mm lens.

A monastery in Greece

 
Friends at a wonderful crawfish party we went to back in 2007. Having a crawfish party (kräftskiva) in the fall means eating crawfish and parting and is a very loved Swedish tradition. 

My 50 mm lens


I call this my pretty lens, it was a Christmas present from my boyfriend and it makes everything a little prettier. The focus range can be made very short so you can get a lot of lovely soft background blur, great for portraits and still lifes. Plus it is excellent in darker rooms because it lets in more light than my regular lens.  

Photos taken with the Nikon 50mm lens.
 My youngest daughter Anja

 My friend Catrin

My flash

Not something most people would invest in, but I love my flash. The trick is to buy an adjustable one so that the flash will be backwards and bounce to the wall in front of the person and not directly onto the face. That softens the light and you won't have that harsh flash effect or red eyes. The photos with a flash are not as beautiful and atmospheric as natural light, but it has it's uses, especially when you live in a country that is dark a large part of the year.


Photos taken with my Nikon SB 600 flash
My boyfriend and I being enamoured with our friend's baby Sigrid. I love her skeptical face and how she grabs the plant with one hand and pulls my hair with the other. 


Hope you'll find the information useful. I started with just the Nikon D50 and the kit lens and used that combo for several years. Then I gradually began to upgrade. I also use a tripod and a remote, which is invaluable when you take the garment photos yourself. 

Oh and if you have any questions about photography and equipment, just ask them in the comment section and I'll try to answer them.

2 comments:

  1. I got my pretty lens for Christmas, and there is no autofocus with my D40! If I don't have to capture movement it has been so much fun to work with. Thanks for the recommendation on the flash -- don't have one yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently purchased a used Nikon D80 which is my first DSLR. Years ago, photography was my hobby when DSLR came more popular, I became disinterested in photography. Sewing has sparked my interest in photography again. Thank you for listing your equipment. This really helps.

    ReplyDelete