Friday, January 14, 2011

Lula magazine




I bought this issue like a month ago, but as I said before, things has been moving at a slower pace than usual here. Anyways I thought it would be time that I reviewed this coveted magazine that has a strong cult following. To preface - I have been hesitant about buying Lula, mostly because of the magazine tagline "Lula-girl of my dreams". To me that sounds like a name on a toy geared towards little girls, like Barbie or something. Also, when it comes to many things in life I prefer a bit of realism over total escapism.



However I was pleasantly surprised with Lula. This issue is curated by the Rodarte sisters and features interviews with Vivianne Westwood, artist Sophie Calle, Kim Gordon of Sonic Youth and many more fascinating women and some men too. It reminds me a bit of Gentlewoman, but with less stellar writing. As for the fashion spreads, they are indeed girly and dreamy. Lots of young models in soft focus shots wearing pastels, bows and lace. Not all spreads are like that, but the fashion is clearly geared towards the young, with a couple of exception.

I guess that each issue will differ since they seem to rely on guest editors (but I could be wrong). It's a pricey little thing Lula, £7.99 and it even more here in Sweden, but the ads are few and far between unlike most other fashion magazines. If you want to know a little more about the Lula phenomena I recommend this article.

4 comments:

  1. I've sadly never of this magazine. I'm going to see if Barnes & Noble carries it.

    If I had curly hair, I'd cut it like the second picture. If only.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that hairstyle too, I even tried to perm my hair like that back in the 80's - but it didn't work out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting review! I do very much like Lula, but I find the guest editors a little stifling - it often feels quite cliquey, which I don't like.

    The copy you have is the least good so far, in my opinion - I'm hoping for better things from Lula 12!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the heads up on how this issue of Lula stands compared to the rest! I too am a bit weary of guest editors, and have a bit of an issue with friends interviewing friends, it can be brilliant and add a different perspective, but more often it falls a bit flat.

    ReplyDelete