Tuesday, January 11, 2011

A guide to Tygriket


I got a few questions on my post about Tygriket (The textile empire) so I thought I should put together a little guide to the stores that I find worthwhile visiting. Most stores are focused on home decoration fabrics and yarns, but there are some finds for clothes makers as well if the nearby city Borås is included in the trip. I guess this post are mostly relevant for Swedish readers but if you are visiting the Swedish west coast this might be fun excursion for fabric fanatics.


Skroten
In Kinna. The biggest and the best. A huge selection of both clothes and home decoration fabrics. The focus is on day wear fabrics, so the silk and wool selection is slim. The fabric quality is fairly high in general, it's pretty much the same fabrics that you can find in city stores for way more (Skroten is 20-50% cheaper on most things). They even sell some organic fabrics, again much better priced than in the city. I also like to stock up on Gütermann threads and Coats overlock threads when I'm there.


Kinnagarn
Also in Kinna. If you knit, embroider and crochet you will love this store. The selection is amazing and very cheap. This is also one of the best button stores I have ever visited. The selection is huge and most buttons cost only 2 kronor each. Also they sell the discontinued line of Stil/Neue Mode patterns for a song (at least they still did the last time I checked). There are also some cheap ribbons and trims there.

Affär'n
Situated in Knalleland in Borås, the Swedish textile center. This is a great little store for those on the look out for bargains. The selection is a bit random, but there are great finds if you take the time to go through all the bolts. Also a great and cheap button selection. Laces, ribbons and other notions are also nicely priced.

Furulunds modetyger
Also in Knalleland Borås. A big store with a great selection of fabrics, from basics to high end materials. Priced higher than the ones mentioned above, but still worth a visit I think. This is where the fashion students at the Swedish textile university do some of their shopping. Also has a big notions selection.

Saxylle
This one I have not visited, but it is apparently very good if you are looking for wool suiting bargains. They are a factory outlet and sell remnants for low prices. Only open once a week (Wednesdays).  Also located in Borås, and they do mail orders as well.



Café Skrädderiet
Not a fabric store, but a wonderfully quaint café in Kinna that is decorated almost entirely with vintage furniture and paraphernalia. And in the summers you can sit in the lovely garden. Perfect for a replenishing fika after Kinna and before Borås.

Here is a map of the stores located in Tygriket (not the Borås ones). Most stores included on the map are home dec fabric and clothes outlets.

Hope you find the guide useful. I regularly get questions about fabric shopping in Göteborg too, so I will try to put together a guide for that as well in the future.

4 comments:

  1. I have fabric store envy! It makes me want to travel to Sweden just to shop for fabric and supplies. No wonder you sew so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a wonderful resource Johanna, I had such a fun time when I was in Goteborg last year and really appreciated your suggestions of places to visit. Hopefully another time I will have longer and can go to the stores on the outskirts of the city as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sewing spots: Yes I think the selection is pretty good here, considering how small a country it is anyways. Especially prints, compared to the stores I visited in London and Paris, we have much more fun and vivid prints. But less fancy fabrics!

    Dilliander: Great that you found it useful, if you ever visit again just drop me a line so we can meet up and I can show you some more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! I just moved to Göteborg in September and have had a lot of trouble finding affordable fabric. This is the resource I was looking for!

    ReplyDelete