Saturday, December 18, 2010

A trip to the textile kingdom



Not far from where I live is an area that is called Tygriket (The textile empire). It used to be the center of the Swedish garment industry, but obviously there are hardly any factories left these days. Though many clothes and home dec companies are still situated in that area. And so are many fabric stores. The lure is primarily the prices, you can get some things for nearly half the price compared to the city. Also it's situated in beautiful rural part of Sweden so it's perfect for a nice day trip. This morning I took the kids along and went to visit a couple of the stores and then ending with the obligatory fika (a word that is hard to translate literally since it has several contexts) at quaint café nearby.











Stella ended up buying "jeggings" fabric to make sweatpants and I restocked some buttons. So we didn't buy a ton. Also the fabric stores were practically empty, clearly the Christmas shopping is happening somewhere else. But a nice trip it was. 

7 comments:

  1. Jealous, jealous, jealous!!! We have nothing like that! I'd love to go shopping somewhere like that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely photos - looks like a fabulous place!~

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love fabric stores...especially if they're empty. It's like it's just you and the fun stuff, hours of it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gasp! I can't believe I never heard of this place. I'm planning a day trip already.

    When I started learning Swedish, my husband defined fika as: "to snackify oneself". Although "snackify" isn't really a word, I think it's a pretty accurate definition.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, can you give me the adresses or web pages of you have them? I live nearby as well but I have never been there. Partly, because I have never gotten a really good tip where to go so any info would be very appreciated. Do they have finer fabrics as well, say laces and silks? Thank you!
    /Catharina

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a nice day out! And I had to giggle, because there's a Swedish restaurant right around the corner from my office here in London, called Fika. ;) So it's pretty much the only Swedish word I DID know!

    ReplyDelete
  7. In addition to the sewing, I really appreciate reading about other bloggers' lives in other cultures, and I thought this was a really fun post. Beautiful pics. Hope you had a lovely Christmas!

    ReplyDelete