Thursday, December 9, 2010

Topshop jacket



I did such an impulse buy last week - buying a Topshop jacket after deliberating for about 5 minutes. My home sewn winter jacket has a fabric that pills like crazy (I suspect it's because the wool is very loosely woven) and despite several sessions with my electric pilling shaver the jacket keeps churning out huge balls of wool on a daily basis, so I was like "I can't take this any more".



I hardly ever prowl the high street stores but after a wonderfully fun sushi and photography date with a friend, I accompanied her to a mall to check out Zara's take on herringbone wool pants, that seems be all the rage this fall. The pants ended up being not quite right for her and then I suggested that we visit Topshop where I found this swing jacket and just fell head over heels in love. It reminds me of a Swedish classic - a grey wool surplus jacket from the Swedish army that has almost an iconic status. Plus with the naval theme going on it pretty much sealed the deal. The wool fabric is a bit thin though so it won't work on really cold days, especially since the narrow sleeves doesn't allow room for big sweaters underneath.

8 comments:

  1. Gorgeuos! Fits your body and personality perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic detailing on the coat -- interesting and flattering without overwhelming. So you weren't wearing that coat on a really cold day? I guess piles of snow (such as those in the photo background) don't necessarily make for really cold days in Sweden? It was 35F/ 1C this morning and I did not want to walk out the front door. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a gorgeous coat! Is that ribbon trim?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of course you had to buy it, it looks so much like your style. If you had said you made it for your store I would have believed you. I'm probably not the only one who thinks that either. It looks great on you too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes it totally looks like something you designed yourself! RTW still has its place :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is a lovely jacket. I like the trim, I have found Top shop coats not very warm in the past. The photos are fab too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh that gorgeous coat is pilling?? Ouch. Usually pilling has one of 2 main causes: the fiber are too short, or the yarn is spun too loosely. If it's all wool you could probably have prevented it by mistreating the fabric before cutting, fulling it a bit. But then if you were already short of fabric that could have been tragic.
    This coat is lovely, but it's too bad that it's not warm enough. I hate to think what it must be like in Sweden right now :-).

    ReplyDelete