Saturday, December 11, 2010

Magazines on Ipad



Last week I was gifted the most incredibly generous present from my boyfriend - an Ipad. It still feels a bit unreal that I own such a coveted item of technology, I am a cheapskate myself when it comes to gadgets, I never buy anything fancy and only upgrade if the one I have is broken - even my sewing machine is a used one from the early 90's. My boyfriend thought that the Ipad was something I would never buy for myself, but that I would likely enjoy very much, and he was absolutely right. While there are areas that could be improved (I will never like Apple's monopoly thinge that requires that all files must go through Itunes, which makes things like transferring a movie a big hassle)  - all in all, this is a pretty excellent gadget.

Since I've been so busy with orders I have not allowed myself to spend heaps of time with the Ipad yet - I could easily procrastinate my days away with it. It's incredibly nifty and makes two of my favorite pastimes, surfing the web and watching tv-shows in bed, even more enjoyable.

However what I was mostly intrigued by is how well it could substitute another favorite past time; reading print magazines. I have dabbled with digital editions of magazines before, but on a computer it just doesn't feel as nice and cosy as when you are curled up in the sofa or sitting at a cafe browsing a printed publication.





So far I have downloaded Elle US, Vogue UK, Nylon, Vanity fair and Interview (only the big name magazines seems to have Ipad apps) and I have to say I'm pretty impressed. Especially with the Elle US edition. It is really easy to navigate and has some very clever functions that integrates the touch pad function and adds to the reader experience. Also depending if you hold it vertically or horizontally the layout will change. Vertical means reading one page at the time with some added interactivity and horizontally you see regular spreads that you browse by rolling the finger over the screen. The resolution is very crisp and it's easy to zoom in and out and reaching the content page. The experience is not quite as cosy as with a print version and I find myself browsing through the pages a bit faster, but that could be an adjustment thing. Also some of the functions can be a bit confusing at first, but I think once you get comfortable with each magazines navigation tool it will be pretty easy. You download the magazine app from the app store (just search for the magazine name) and then pay a fee for each issue (the Elle issue was free though). Another thing that I really appreciate is that there are usually back issues offered (not a heap though since most magazines got Ipad friendly this fall). So all in all this is the first time I've enjoyed reading magazines digitally, which makes the Ipad format a very promising medium for the future in my opinion.

5 comments:

  1. Lucky girl! While, like you, I like to wait for things to die before I replace them, I love the idea of new technology very much.

    I've had a cheap ebook reader since 06 and I love the portability.

    I do have one question. How much was the magazine vs print edition where price is concerned? And can you get a subscription or do you have to buy single issues?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lakaribane: Only single issues from what I could tell, and they were all prized below print price I think, around $1.99 to 3.99 ( for Vogue UK) And Elle was free, there are some splash screen ads included that comes up once in a while, but apart from that it's the same as the print. Maybe they are just doing an intro offer? I work in print media myself and the general gauge is that the subscription just cover the printing and distribution. The rest is ad revenue, so making a digital version should be nearly free IMO. However there are clearly some extra programming involved, some are pretty technically evolved, this is not like reading an plain pdf.

    I will try books next, but I think that transition will be harder, I do love the smell and feel of paper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woot! iPad! Very nice -- it does look so slick and, though a different experience from flipping through a print mag, could be a very acceptable substitute. Glad you're enjoying and look forward to hearing more about your iPad adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Antoinette: There are so many fashion related apps that I will surely find more to blog about in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't it way cool! My hubby has one and he just downloaded a magazine yesterday where the cover is a VIDEO!!! It's Emma Watson from Harry Potter, and it's just like their moving newspapers! Very cool! Have fun with yours!

    ReplyDelete