Monday, October 18, 2010

Ric-rac love


I am currently working on a sample for a new Olga style, this time a little holiday themed in red and black. I managed to snag a fab red organic jersey recently and decided to pair it with a black velvet ric-rac ribbon. I have a really soft spot for ric-rac ribbon and it goes back to my childhood. Even as a youngster I used to decorate some of my garments with this iconic ribbon. The best part is that it's so flexible, you can easily form it into a circle or pretty much any other shape imaginable.

Speaking of ric-rac, we saw the new Ricky Gervais/Stephen Merchant movie Cemetery Junction the other night. And in one scene, the female lead Felicity Jones wears a skirt generously embellished with ric-rac. I guess there can be too much of a good thing, and perhaps some will say that Felicity's skirt passed that limit, but I think it looks pretty cool. A really clever way to add some interest to an otherwise simple skirt.


What do you think, is it cool or just too much?

5 comments:

  1. I happen to love rick-rack, but it is a 'use with caution' material in my basket...lol

    If they had kept the rick-rack in one area, say the top or the bottom, the skirt would have sat better with me - but this just borders her and cuts her off right in the middle - cute idea though!

    Just 1 opinion in a sea of many :), do what makes you happy!

    Glad I stumbled across your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure about rick-rac. I just bought some to use on a maxi dress and ditched the idea for ruffles. And yet I am attracted to the navy blue and white dress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. On my netbook with its small screen, at first I just saw the ric rak on the top of the skirt and thought it was fine, but to see the ric rac on the bottom too--it's looking like an apron.

    I love ric rac too but haven't incorporated it into garment sewing. I love the placket idea though--looks feminine, not little-girl.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how rick-rack was used in that periwinkle Alice in Wonderland dress from the recent Tim Burton film version. Did you see it? This one: http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/medium/rick-rack_skirt_2.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww, I was going to link to that Alice in Wonderland skirt too! Close up of skirt shown here.

    ReplyDelete