Tuesday, August 24, 2010

The House of Eliott

The British tv-series House of Eliott was a big hit in Sweden in the early 90's. I am curious if it was a splash in other countries too? It is a classic BBC-drama in the spirit of The Forsyte Saga and The Onedin Line - fantastic actors, beautiful costumes, a lot of indoor studio shots and engaging story lines that runs over many episodes. The story is set in the 1920's and resolves around the two Eliott sisters, who after their father's death, decides to start a fashion house. I recently revisited the series, and it has really stood the test of time. This is a must see if you are fashion history buff, a large chunk of story line resolves around the clothes, but there are of course a lot of drama too! It is readily available on DVD.



8 comments:

  1. This was my favourite show in the 90s. I was besotted by Evangeline Elliot and loved the gowns and the spirit of these girls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How funny - i just picked up the dvd from the library. I loved it too. I think the idea of being able to just start a couture house may be quite generally seductive though - at least around these blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently discovered this series and rented it... have been recommending it to all my friends. It's one I may actually purchase for my video library.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved it! I don't know how many people saw it as it was on public tv, not the highest ratings around. But it was great. I remember the garments more than the story lines.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is my top-favourite show of all time!!! I loved it when it was broadcasted in the Netherlands. Don't think though that you could say it was a hit here. But I found it so gorgeous (the clothes) and I really liked the storyline.

    However...a while ago I was searching on YouTube and found an amazing funny parody of this series, by French and Saunders.
    Just search for: French & Saunders House of Idiot #3 Full version.

    It had me rolling with laughter when I saw it the first time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too love this series. You can rewatch them (and I do) over and over to detail all the wonderful garments. It helps that it is a great story too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's so wonderful to hear about others who loved this delightful series. I wasn't even doing any fashion sewing then but I loved the clothes and fabrics....could almost feel them through the screen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I remember this as a kid growing up in the UK, but I think I'll be watching it again after reading your thoughts and have just found it online at my local library! Yay!

    ReplyDelete