Sunday, March 21, 2010

You and I won't be going places


Okay so I have made a total wadder. Sigh. I was super excited about this new cardigan design, I had it all planned out and even did a dummy in a different fabric that looked good enough. But the end result is just yuck. Everything streched out and is just a baggy mess, like an Anthropologie cardigan on a really bad day. Or something one wears in a hospital or possible in jail, as my boyfriend noted. 



The fabric is the main problem I think, it is a slinky rayon/cotton knit that needs to be kept firm, otherwise the end result will be a slouchy mess. I tried to hem the cardigan with both coverstiching, invisible hem and the walking foot - but all three failed miserable. This one is heading straight to the bin.

But first here are some lovely detail shots from my pocket experiments:

Hated the first bow design so I tried to cut it loose.
But I had attached the bow so hard with hand stitching that I couldn't remove it.

Another pocket design after the first bow failure. Incidentally, this one didn't work either.

10 comments:

  1. Oh that is disappointing. The color of this fabric is so nice. Maybe you can re-fashion it into something else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. >>Ann: Yes, I have actually been thinking about reusing the larger parts of the cardigan, and I do have more fabrics as well. I think I might have a new idea that will work better in this fabric, but it is not an easy material to work with!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I hate it when that happens. I just had one that went straight to the Goodwill box (charity donation). I was particularly pi$$ed because I made the size larger and used narrower seams. Oh well I see that I'm in good company.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know it wouldn't look so bad with a white tshirt underneath. The blouse makes it look too big and well, frumpy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. >>sdBev: Yes it is always such a disappointment, I even tried to pretend it looked okay for a day, but the next day reality hit me big time!

    >>Gail: Yeah I agree, the match is wrong. But I also think the problem is that I can't carry those big loose styles, my stature is just not impressive enough. It might be easier if I was closer to 170 cm than 160 cm!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel your pain, I recently had a wadder with a tnt pattern, but the fabric was just a stretchy mess due to poor handling on my part.

    ReplyDelete
  7. >>Nancy K: Oh yes those stretchy fabrics, they can really let you down! And they require a surgeon's delicate touch. I find it intriguing how the choice of fabric can totally change the shape of the garment. This pattern is also a TNT and still, somehow, it all went very wrong,

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your facial expressions are awesome! :) It is a pretty color. Hope you can do something fun with it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. >>Antoinette: Hehe, I was trying to evoke the reaction I had when my otherwise super enthusiastic and supportive boyfriend said it looked like something one would wear in jail!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh dear. Sometimes it's so hard to just walk away and say "it's not me, it's you!" We could spend weeks trying to fix a bad pattern, or we can just sever and move on. Now you just need a quick, fun project to lift you back up again!

    ReplyDelete