Friday, March 12, 2010

Walking foot review


I have finally given my Bernina walking foot a bit of a test run. Here is a mini review of my results:

Overall impression
Very sturdy, not flimsy and also surprisingly quiet. It sews at a slightly slower pace than a regular presser foot, which takes a little getting used too, since I am usually a full throttle kind of seamster. But it is not super slow by any means, so it is not a real issue.

Sewing striped knits
I do this a lot and sometimes I need to do things that a serger can't. And a regular presser foot will push the top layer forward so it is really hard to get a nice even result, i.e. the stripes won't align. Well the walking foot made a big difference on all my test samples! Even when I sewed a stretchy striped knit on the bias the stripes aligned pretty well.



Sewing on vinyl
The regular Bernina presser foot does a pretty good job with vinyl, but the walking foot made it even smoother and the stitches got more even. So again, success.


Top stitching jersey 
I also tried top stitching a facing onto regular t-shirt jersey (non-lycra). With a regular presser foot the fabric would stretch out horrible (unless I interfaced the facing) but with the walking foot it didn't stretch out the fabric at all, which was very impressive!

Top stitching rayon/lycra
A nightmare to top stitch on a regular machine, there will be bubbles and skipped stitches. Well the walking foot didn't do a better job than a regular presser foot, unfortunately. I am gonna stick to cover stitching.

Sewing slinky satin
Again the walking foot didn't exactly excel, the fabric still slipped, but it was a little bit easier than with a regular foot.

I didn't have any velvet in my stash, so I can't give my verdict on that. But from the trials that I have done so far, the walking foot deliver very well in most cases. So I am happy with my purchase!

11 comments:

  1. When I sew velvet, I lay a strip of tissue paper under the presser foot to prevent sliding and slipping. Sew. Gently pull tissue from stitches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never remember to put it on my machine, mainly because it's a royal pain, but it really does do a great job on patterns matching. Need to remember this! It's certainly easier than basting the seam by hand first!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for your review. I sew with knits a lot, so the walking foot is on my wish list.
    I like to sew a narrow seam allowance, but the walking foot looks pretty wide.
    Did you have any problems sewing narrow seam allowances on knits?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the review! I'm a Bernina girl myself and I always look for nice accessories...

    Does this wonder have a price tag attatched to it??

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the review. I'm a Bernina girl and need to remember to use that walking foot more often.

    ReplyDelete
  6. >>Skitzo: When I did my velvet dress I toyed with using this method, but I was afraid the paper would get stuck in the stitches, but I assume that is no problem then?

    >> Oh, yes much quicker than basting, but too bad to hear that it is a hassle to assemble, what brand do you have? The Bernina was super simple, just a snap really

    >>A little: It was easy sewing narrow, I just followed the edge of the presser foot, around 1/5 inches was no problem, so narrow seams work fine. And I really liked how it performed on knits (super stretchy lycra aside)

    >>Kaja: I bought it off German ebay, around half the price that Syagenturen wanted for the walking foot, but still expensive, around 800 kronor.

    >>Rose: You know I got around 10 presser feet with my machine and I use only three regularly! I am sure the others are great, but I never get around changing them, but I will try to get a lot of mileage from the walking foot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review! I also own a walking foot, but never used it basically because I really didn't know what it was for, lol. What I'm gathering from this post, is there were many instances, that I could have used this foot, but didn't know. Thanks to you, I know now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah the walking foot is SO worth the money! Behind the regular and zipper feet it is by far my most-used machine foot. If any fabric is being cranky, I just pull it out and it's magically under control. Everything from leather to lycra to silk crepe to lace. Magic, I tell you...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad you like your new tool! I knew you would ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Skitzo: When I did my velvet dress I toyed with using this method, but I was afraid the paper would get stuck in the stitches, but I assume that is no problem then?
    Absolutely not! I wondered the same thing when I tried it for the first time. Just use one layer of the tissue and it is super easy. Try it on a scrap and amaze yourself.

    ReplyDelete