Friday, March 5, 2010

Disappointment and some
button theraphy


This morning I traveled by bus to the other side of town in an ungodly hour only to find out that the supplier did in fact not have any more unbleached organic cotton jersey. Instead it turned out that what they had labeled as single jersey was in fact a cotton interlock. A nuance that is lost on everyone outside the fabric world I am sure, but the difference is substantial. You would have thought that one of the biggest Swedish fabric supplier should be able to tell the difference, but apparently not! Though the sales assistant was a little embarrassed when she noticed the mistake. Anyhow no more fabric available of the kind that I want, so I spent the bus ride to work calling suppliers with dismal result. But I think I might have a lead now. Just need to check out the swatches.

Anyhow, I needed some retail therapy after that, and since the mall near work is kinda boring, during lunch I ventured to the "secret place" which is a store that sells fabric and notions from the 60's and early 70's. The shop is really old and they must have bought a lot back in the days, because the store owner never seems to run out of things. Here you can see a photo from the bustling interiors. I came back with some lovely buttons from the 60's that will surely find a happy home in my growing button stash.



By the way, is it just me, or have buttons gotten more and more boring? While I was waiting at the supplier I checked out their button section and didn't find anything that I wanted. While at the "secret place" almost all the vintage buttons are really desirable. In fact I buy almost only vintage buttons these days (and some from Ebay), because the new ones are often both boring and really expensive.

8 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, I wish I had a secret place like that near me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually do have a great button shop, though it is a good hour away by car. Public transportation on Long Island? Not easy. Anyway it used to be owned by a brother and sister who were always arguing with each other and not very good on organization, but the Asian couple who bought it are lovely and it's much easier to find things now. To get to the point, the former owners had a lot of vintage buttons and boy are they amazing. This little shop has a better button selection than some of the very famous NYC shops.

    ReplyDelete
  3. >>Christina: Yes those are the best! The old lady who runs it is also something of an eccentric with very strong opinions on all things crafty. Like today when I asked her if she had some rick-rack ribbon. She just frowned on me "You mean that stuff you put on children's clothes? Oh we don't carry that, we are a ladies boutique! LOL!

    >>Nancy: That sounds like a wonderful store, I never want those to go away! And I am all for travelling long for buttons too, today I found one that is ~60 miles away and is only open three hours on Sundays and now I want to go there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Buttons are impossible to find here. Wishing I had some secret stores or just any shop that had terrific finds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. >>B: I regularly shop buttons online, have you checked out the offerings on Ebay and Etsy? In fact now I want to start an on-line button store. As if I would ever find the time to do that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a place like that in the town where I used to live. I go back every now & then. It's an old shop and like yours, I think they must have bought a lot back the day because they still have stuff from decades ago. (They even won a prize for "best place to buy buttons" in our metropolitan area, LOL.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those yellow buttons are cuuuute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Buttons can be difficult to find. I have a shop 15 minutes for me. When she stocks up, it is wonderful. Must buy then. But it's hard to tell what I will want months from now. Sigh. But I know if it's an interesting button I must buy now. Otherwise, everywhere else, the pickings are skinny. I've been toying with the idea of altering older existing buttons with paint or bling or ????

    ReplyDelete