Saturday, February 6, 2010

Walking foot update

Five minutes ago I placed my order for an original Bernina walking foot from a German Ebay seller. Yes, I followed the advice from the majority of you and went for the real deal. Thank you so much for all your input! Cheaper generic presser foots seemed like a hit or miss, some of you had great experiences and others not so great at all, and judging by my own success rate when it comes to scrimping I better stick with the real deal this time. I used to be that kind of person who always went for the cheap option, and 9/10 it turned out to be crap. Not that I haven't bought expensive crap too, mind you, but since several  vouched for the original Bernina walking foot, I decided it would be the right choice.

I got it for 84€ incl shipping, which amounts to around $115. It is a lot of money, but it was still way cheaper than the price that Swedish retailers charges. I just hope that my non existent German language skills was enough to communicate the fact that I want the walking foot for older Berninas and not the newer ones (they have both, but only have the newer one listed). I had to let Google translate do the work for me!

6 comments:

  1. If a problem occurs with communication, just drop me a line (and besides I think the seller understands a little English as well).
    Have a nice weekend!
    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nu vet du hur jag känner om att använda Google Translate! Congrats -- it is no small amount of money you spent but I bet you will find it is well worth the investment.

    Hey, BTW, last week a sewing friend IRL shared a knit top with beautiful embroidery (a purchased peacock feather pattern and kit, with all the embroidery thread and needle required) that she handmade. She used a tear-away stabilizer but no embroidery hoop, and she said tearing out the stabilizer was a little nerve-wracking because she was afraid of pulling out her embroidery stitches! Anyway, reminded me of your cross-stitching on knit adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't give my two cents yesterday, but I think you'll be very happy with your real Bernina walking foot! My mother paid $150 for hers in *1986* and just last year passed the machine and the walking foot on to me. I love it and use it all the time!! So I think you got a very good deal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If the one you bought isn't correct, I just realized I have a Bernina walking foot for a machine that was about 20 years old and died on me. :-( We could work something out if you need it and it would work for you. I'm hoping to get a new Bernina this year, but I if this walking foot I have won't work on a new one (I'll check), no use in keeping it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. >>Lucy: Thank you so much! I have not heard from them yet, so I am getting a little nervous actually!
    >>Antoinette: I have actually tried that too, it's a brilliant method and almost like magic - I too felt a little nervous the first time!

    >>Katherine: That is very encouraging to hear!

    >>Jenny: What a wonderful and kind offer! To bad to hear about your Bernina, hope you can buy a new soon. Mine is from 1992 so I hope it won't die on me soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jenny,

    Doing a search for the original Bernina Walking Foot, your post came up where you potentially offered yours to someone who was buying one from someone in Germany. I'm in California, and have also heard the original one is the best. I'm interested in buying one, if yours isn't spoken for.

    thank you!

    ReplyDelete