Sunday, January 31, 2010

Skirt with cross-stitches

When I get into something, I tend to repeat it over and over. Hence the stripes and now the cross-stitching. My first attempt using cross-stitches on knits was successful enough to make it worth a second attempt. This time I used fusible interfacing underneath so it was much easier to get an even result. And I switched to another scrim weave which made it a little easier to remove the strands.

The pattern is based on a design from an 50's embroidery book that I got from my mum. The book is packed with wonderful designs, that actually feels more up-to-date and current than the patterns in most modern embroidery books. Though Sublime Stitching does great new stuff. The fabric I used for the skirt is a mid-weight rayon/lycra jersey

I know I said I would do more colourful stuff, and this skirt doesn't quite fit that description. But I did do a colourful outfit shot - straight from our kitchen!

Top: La Redoute, bought many years ago.
Shoes: Ecco (see pic above)

2 comments:

  1. It's a lovely motif, and I appreciate your experimentation and reports back on cross-stitching on knits!

    A few years age, I cross-stitched and then framed a small piece inspired by Sublime Stitching. It was a b-day gift for my BFF, who herself cross-stitches, but typically bunnies and bears on baby gifts. She has this hidden tough streak many people don't see, so the one I gave her had flowers or something standard, but the written words were "Don't make me cut you." :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. >>Antoinette: ROFWL, that is genius! I love that subversive stitching stuff, and want to do something similar too, but I have yet to come up with something that is clever enough!

    ReplyDelete