Wednesday, September 23, 2009

A trip to fabric heaven

Dress and fabric designed by Maud Fredin Fredholm.

Please feel free to argue with me but in my book, Sweden, along with Finland and Japan, has the best textile designers in the world. Especially during the heydays in the 50's and 60's. The stuff that was made then in Sweden was just amazing, so visionary and really unique. And some designers, like Josef Franck and Stig Lindberg, even became household names.

Another lesser known genius is Maud Fredin Fredholm who designed both clothes and fabrics. The local design museum currently has an exhibition of her works and yesterday they arranged a huge sale of the clothes and fabrics that she has saved since the 60's and 70's. Loads of printed knits, dress cottons and home dec fabrics. So me and my mate Catrin met up for a glass of wine and got ready for some crazy battles over fabrics and clothes.


People sipping wine and shopping fabrics.

Large scale print that would look lovely as a summer dress.

Silk jersey from the early 70's. Divine.

Cotton knit with an amazing border print. This one went home with me.

Loved the print, but the jacket was too big.

Even the museum director was busy cutting up fabrics.

Catrin ended up with a full bag of fabulous clothes and I just bought 3 meters of fabric. My dream dress in the exhibition was not for sale sadly, but I got really inspired to work more with colours and prints after our fun night at the museum.

The border print cotton knit that I bought.

6 comments:

  1. Wow! So jealous - what a great sale - I love the fabric you bought. You were very restrained.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun! And what a great print you chose!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so envious! That looked like a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I'm drooling. It sounds like a lovely event--I wish I could have been there in person, if only to touch the fabric. I like the fabric you purchased.

    Rose in SV

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great event! Look forward to seeing your garment made up with that fantastic fabric :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fabulous event! You are so lucky. Thank you for inspiring us. How did you hear about it? I totally agree that the best fabric designs come from Sweden and Finland.

    ReplyDelete