Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Getting graphic


Next week I will most likely start selling my clothes on Etsy. Though I don't dare to give you an exact launch date right now - in the spirit of promise less, deliver more. In the meantime I want to share the story behind the brand name and design profile of my soon to be small clothing label.

The story behind the name

Floremark is a tiny village in the north of Sweden where my relatives had a house for many years. I lived in that house for a while when studying at the university in the mid 90's. I always loved the name Floremark, even before I lived there, and for my line I wanted something that has a connection to my heritage and my life here in Sweden. As for the actual meaning, flore could be something dialect, but also possible related to the latin word flore, ie. flower. And mark means ground or land.

The story behind the logo

It's really short! To keep down the expenses I decided to use the service of a generic label maker company. To my disposal I had about seven fonts and a few dozens of symbols. I tried out some ideas, but didn't like them much, so I asked my boyfriend to also have a go. He came up with a version that included the dry cl
ean symbol for petroleum solvents - F with a circle around it.
I really liked the look of his design, but we were a bit unsure if it could be misinterpreted (i.e people would think it was a dry cleaning symbol!). So using the same principle, but with a different font, I created another (and final) version.



The labels
I ordered 50 sew-on embroidered labels. The font is Century Gothic which I find very nice and balanced.
Since I had to pay extra for getting the logo on the labels I skipped that and just put the name on the label. A lot of designers do that anyway. I ordered from a Swedish site but I have heard good things about Fancy weaver (who also offers custom labels). The only drawback is that the blue on the labels are a bit different than it showed on the preview, so my colour profile isn't entirely cohesive. Oh well, you live and learn.




The hang-tags
They are actually business cards that I have punched holes in.
I ordered them from Moo cards . Moo offers lower minimums (50) than most buisness card providers. The paper quality of Moo is great, really thick. The red tint in the blue colour bled a bit though, I probably should have consulted someone at work to help me pick a "safer" blue for prints. The one thing I was a little disappointed with was that the design is not aligned, somehow they cut more one side of the graphic than the other, which bugs me. But overall I am happy with my choice of card maker.

And finally: Some thoughts on DIY vs having someone else print the labels and tags
An ink printer makes it possible to print both fabric labels and business cards at home. That way you can do super small runs and have a lot more design freedom. But even though it sounds like a a great proposition I was never tempted to take that path. Why you might ask? Well because I have gone down that road way too many times in the past. 9 times out 10 it has ended up being a huge hassle before I got it right and I've had to throw away so many failed attempts, which adds up in the long run. Not to mention that the quality of home print is inferior. But if you are curious on how to print labels at home and have more patience than I do, just google, as there are many tutorials out there.

7 comments:

  1. The logo and name are very nice and fit you/your clothes well, I think. Good luck with the launch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the designs you have chosen go very well with the style of your garments. Good luck with your premier!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love them, Johanna! It's all beautiful and meticulously done, just like the clothes. What a fun time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the story behind the name and the classic logo. looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All looks wonderful....very professional!
    Good luck, I'll be watching for a post on your launch date :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your logo Johanna and will be looking for your launch. I will definitely be browsing. Best of luck- Mozza, Ireland

    ReplyDelete