Monday, August 24, 2009

The Jeans project - Pt 5 Back pockets


Hope you can take some more jeans making methods. This time I want to talk about the back pockets. I have shown this method before, but I love it so much that I want to plug it again. The secret to razor sharp patch pockets is as simple as it is genius and revolves around a paper template and some pressing.

What you need are two pattern pieces. One with the seam allowance added and one without. The one without seam allowance should be done in thick paper, I used the cartoon from a frozen pizza.




Before you start, cut out the back pockets with seam allowances.


Then fold and press the top of the pocket.



Topstitch the seam.



Place the pressing template (without the seam allowance) on top of the pocket.



Press in the seam allowances around the edge using a lot of steam. But don't spray water since the paper might curl from the moist.



Looking pretty darn sharp, don't you think?



Place the pressed pocket on the back piece, make sure that you have marked the spot carefully and check the measurements so that the markings are on the same spot on both pieces.



Pin using just one or two needles in the middle (or a few basting stitches) to attach the pocket. Then top stitch the pocket into place.



Secure the pocket using either a thick zigzag or rivets. In my next post I will talk about how to attach the rivets.

3 comments:

  1. Hot iron to the rescue! Love my iron, and glad to know it will come in handy when I make my jeans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sewing your own jeans is amazing to me! They look great. Thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Johanna !
    I've been reading your blog for some days, and I just love your sewing. I admire the way you can achieve so much garments, and they're all so beautifully made.

    ReplyDelete