Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Dujour magazine


Last week I asked for suggestions on fashion and craft magazines with a more indie sensibility. I have been checking out all your suggestions and the first one I can talk about is Dujour that Antoinette led me to. I bought an online subscription (only $9.99) because sending the paper version to Sweden would be insanely expensive. The first issue I have read is the current Vintage issue. The 256 pages are full of gorgeous photography and illustrations and features interviews with prolific artists, designers, bloggers and vintage collectors.

The Vintage issue has a great interview with Etsy-favorite Caitlin Shearer.
And she is only 19 years old!


I would label Dujour as a fanzine that looks like a glossy magazine. Fanzine in the sense that the writers are clearly driven by their personal fascination of the subjects that they cover and there is a lot of gushing in the articles. Another reason it feels like a fanzine is the focus on independent makers. If you want to read about It-bags, Gucci and Marc Jacobs, you probably would be better off with something else. Glossy in the sense that the layout and photography are very upscale and well executed. There is definitely a glamorous vibe to Dujour.



The magazine is also heavy on the eye-candy and a bit thin on written content. I personally prefer more words for my bucks, but when the eye-candy is as pleasant as this, I can overlook that fact. I highly recommend checking out Dujour magazine.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad it worked out for you! I thought it was pretty reasonable at $9.99 a year, too. Here's another one -- print mag-turned-blog, free as far as I know -- just found out about it this morning:

    http://www.ameliasmagazine.com/index.php

    ReplyDelete
  2. i also love dujour mag! and your blog which I have just discovered! off to go read some more now :-D

    xoxo bardot in blue aka your new fan in Paris

    ReplyDelete