Sunday, June 21, 2009

Cravings

1.A.P.C. shirt from Creatures of Comfort, 2.Tulle blouse from Mod Cloth, 3.Orla silk jersey dress from Orla Kiely, 4.Fred Perry dress by Jessica Ogden from Asos.

I hardly ever buy clothes these days, mostly because I find most store offerings very uninspiring. It's not that the clothes in stores are bad, really, but all this sewing has made my taste so specific, so particular, that it's becoming harder and harder to find anything that matches my preferences. But these four gems are another story - they are giving me serious cravings. And also a whiff of consumer guilt. It's weird that I seldom flinch when spending money on fabrics and notions, but feel queasy when I think about forking up money on a pre-made garment. Clearly my thought process lacks a certain stringency in this area. That said, it's nice to see that I can still find things that makes my heart tick, pre-made or not.

4 comments:

  1. Yes, I find it hard to spend money on clothes too...but if they fit and you like the fabric, then why not? I'm remembering your nautical-themed swap...these clothes all have that same nautical jauntiness about them...they would would be great inspiration pieces to add to your swap, whether you buy or make them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a rule of thumb. If something is on sale and is cheaper than I could make it more, then I'll buy. Oh I have to like it a lot as well! BTW how do you set up the photo scroll on the side of your site?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, I am with you here. Sometimes I find a detail I really like on RTW, but as soon as I try on the garment, I am done with it. Sewing has raised my standard for fit. I am not going to pay money for an ill fitting garment. Rather take a photo of the detail/garment and maybe, someday, copy the thing?

    ReplyDelete