Friday, May 22, 2009

Swinging 60's fashion style



What a gem of a book this is. I was browsing through Selfridges fashion book section in London and was just about to leave when I suddenly saw this wonderful Japanese book, Swinging 60's fashion style. The book contains loads of clippings showing everyday fashion from the 60's. No credits has been given (shame on you Pie books!) but I suspect the material is picked primarily from English mail order catalogs. When you are a fashion history book junkie like me you notice that the same photos pop up in every book so it was really refreshing to see completely fresh images from this decade.



This is a fantastic reference book and the graphic design is really delicious, by making collages of the old tears and incorporating different colour blocks they make the images look even fresher. I give this book a five out five and wish they would do books for other decades too.

----------------------------------------------

And reader question from Jenaveve: I have to ask about the image of the Neo-Edwardian gear in Camden - don't suppose you recall which shop it was?

I don't know the name of the store, sorry, but it's on Camden street, very close to the Camden tube station. It could be one of these and if so most likely Dark side of Camden. I found the goth/romantic/gothic lolita wear to be all over the place in Camden - from overpriced tacky to some really cool stuff. Also a tip for anyone who plans to visit Camden is the vintage store Lost and found in the Camden stable market, they have a wonderful selection with really desirable pieces from 1900 and forward, and the prices was great too. There was generally quite a bit of rubbish in the Camden markets, but Lost and found is definitely worth a visit.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Johanna, now if I could just get myself over to London...

    This book is fabulous. It reminds me of a book I gave away years ago, I think it was called '50's & 60's Style' - oh how I wish I didn't give away books!! Maybe I should start hiding them under the floor or in the attic...

    ReplyDelete