Thursday, May 14, 2009

Running for some steam


Four years ago I stopped exercising. It was a time of big life changes, such as a divorce and a subsequent move. Which I think was why I lost my mojo. But it was still strange in some ways, because for most of my adult life I have been an avid exerciser and never thought I would just stop one day.

Last winter I decided to do something about my slump and bought a gym card. Since then I've been going once a week. I've been pretty consistent, which I'm proud of, but working out only once a week isn't enough to give me the sort of addictive buzz that I got when I was exercising 3-4 times a week. Another reason for my lack of passion is a lack of goals. I am happy with my body and have no strenuous adventures lined up either. So to give me a bit of a boost I have signed up for a 5k run. It's in late May and I'm pretty sure I will be able to crank 5k out of my legs, even though I've done very little running training so far. It won't be what I'd call a pleasurable experience, but at least I'm out there running!

4 comments:

  1. Good for you! Even though you're body is in good condition now, exercizing on a regular basis will be a huge benefit as you age. And believe me--age creeps up before you know it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you. I "love" running. It's my exercise of choice. I'm {47} and my norm is 7km per day.(I live 7kms from work and run home).
    gwensews is so right, exercising on a regular basis is a huge benefit as one ages :)}}
    Good Luck and keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck increasing the routine for the 5k! You'll do great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done on signing up for this!!
    I love a bit of casual exercise - it keeps my mind going and makes me a hell of a lot more creative. I guess it's all linked together in some way, and it does help to set mini-goals to keep up with motivation, even if it's only 'I will do x workouts this week'.

    ReplyDelete