Tuesday, April 28, 2009

A tunic for a cardigan


My friend Anita and I have started a new crafty swap. I will make her a rayon/linen tunic with elaborate details such as a lace-up front, metal eyelets and gathered sleeves with ties. A little steampunk meets gothic Lolita perhaps - i.e. a style pretty far from my own. When I think of tunics I envision little pin-tuck pleats, maybe a standing collar and possibly a discreet lace insert. Nothing standoutish - I always gravitate to details that are subdued. So to get into a more dramatic headspace I assembled a quick inspiration board that, in conjunction with a rudimentary sketch that she provided me, hopefully will push me in the right direction.

In turn she will knit me a cardigan in a gorgeous shiny Egyptian
cotton/rayon blend that will be perfect for summer. The colour is called lavender blue and is incredibly lustrous, very different from run-of-the-mill blues.

The cardigan pattern is from Twilleys.

Looking at the cardigan now though I have to say it looks a bit, um I dunno, sedate and conservative in comparison with the tunic concept above. Oh well, at least I did pose in my underwear last week ;)

2 comments:

  1. Dude. I totally need to find a friend who knits to do something like this with. Except I think most ppl I know who knit also sew pretty well. That blue sweater is going to be pretty fantastic! And the peasant blouse is not quite up my alley either, but to each her own, and it's always fun to do stuff that's new and out of the ordinary. Will be fun to see the end products!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You definitely have the underwear pic to fall back on! The cardigan is adorable.

    ReplyDelete