Friday, April 17, 2009

The finished velvet Burda dress


This was the biggest sewing challenge I've done in a long while. It was just really, really hard getting everything right. This goes for both the pattern (from Burda magazine 3/2009) and the fabric (silk/rayon velvet). The picture might look serene, but I can assure you that there has been a lot of profanities involved in the making of this dress. But I'm very proud of myself now, because the dress turned out even better than I had hoped it would! Also this is a petite pattern, so the only alteration I had to do was adjusting for my sway back.

As for sewing velvet without any special helpers, like a walking foot and a velvet pressing board, I will talk about that experience in a separate post where I will share the stuff I learned along the way.

Regarding the execution, I'll be the first to admit that it's less than stellar in places, there was a lot if salvage stitching involved, but when I look at the dress now, I think it looks pretty good.

The dress has an interesting yoke that goes all the way to the back.

The lining. Because the bodice and skirt has a tricky shape I treated the lining and velvet as one piece and attached them with a seam that I serged.

You can read my review of the pattern over at Pattern Review where I talk more about the specifics. Also I want to direct a special thanks to Melissa who not only wrote a very helpful review, but also took the time to answer my assembly questions over e-mail.

14 comments:

  1. Oh my. That is *gorgeous*!! I love the color.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job. I am sure it took exteme patience to sew this dress. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't finished reading your entire entry--had to say, "Oh, deary, my oh my! You look absolutely gorgeous in that dress!!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, so beautiful! You look just great in it. I bought a velvet remnant a few years back to try sewing velvet -- thought I would make a hat - but I still haven't cut into it. Look forward to your PR review and upcoming velvet post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All misty eyed here - you look beautiful in that forties dress - and I thought it would take you weeks to get it finished - it's just GORGEOUS and you look so stunning in it.

    So happy you overcame the velvet problems, and looking forward to the post on how you achieved it. I didn't think to see it finished so soon! after your despair in some previous posts....

    ReplyDelete
  6. very pretty .. well done for sticking through a difficult project!

    Your pose in this photo is just gorgeous, the whole picture looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have always found that when a garment inspires profanities, it will either be a complete disaster or a work of art. Your dress is definitely in the latter category! It is gorgeous on you - the colour is amazing and the style is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very beautiful, I think I'll add that to my "to do" list! Great job overcoming all the obstacles, you'd never know any existed!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The velvet looks so lush! Gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks absolutely ravishing. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad you persevered - this is gorgeous and classy on you!

    SherryV

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks fantastic! Well done for persevering through and finishing it! Is silk velvet now a "never again" fabric for you like it is for me? :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This style is very pretty in velvet. Profanities every now and then are no big deal in my book.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your dress is lovely. Velvet can be a challenge to sew, but it really makes this dress special.

    ReplyDelete