Thursday, February 26, 2009

Trial - errror - repeat

For better and for worse. Four attempts at making a beanie pattern.

I had an epiphany recently. The thing is that I have always assumed that the knitted hats one can find in stores was knitted on special hat machines. But after turning a few beanies inside out I realized that most are just cut and sewed from regular knit fabric. So I decided to try to make my own beanie, using a couple of store bought hats as guides.

In theory it looked easy, but in reality it was hard getting both the pattern and assembly right. For instance if you don't taper the seams carefully you'll end up with very pointed corners, like on the turquoise hat above. Another problem was getting the shape right. But I think I've nailed it now. A beanie hat doesn't require much fabric, so I'm thinking it would be an economical way to use expensive sweater knits. Maybe I'll even make a Missoni hat someday!

A template for a sand castle? Nope, just my finished beanie pattern. Vik means fold in Swedish and mössa means knitted cap hat.

2 comments:

  1. thanks for the post! i made this pattern out of old tee shirts. you saved me a few tees. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I make deerskin leather directly from the hides and want to make a beanie out of the material. I'm glad I found your site. I want to use your pattern but am unsure if that's the whole thing (is some of it folded behind and hidden, is there another piece that attaches) and how you came up with the measurements. I assume the bottom measurement is the circumference of your head, so that would make it a pretty big pattern. thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete