Sunday, February 22, 2009

The birthday present


The matchy-matchy project for my youngest child is done. Hope she likes it as much as I do! Her birthday is next Saturday so I'll soon find out. The beanie and scarf patterns are drafted by me (the scarf was really hard, lol!). The top and leggings are from Ottobre magazine.

It's all done in thick cotton interlock and what a joy it was to sew. The only cloud on the horizon is my serger/coverstitcher, it's skipping stitches. I bought it in 2004, maybe it's time for service? How often do you serve your sergers? I leave my ordinary sewing machine to the dealer only every 5-6 years, maybe that's a bad practice considering how much I sew?

Also I've joined Clevergirl's informal March pant sew-a-long. I plan to make the Anthropologie knockoffs, which probably will be rather tricky and time consuming, so I'm very grateful that Antoinette is offering this format.

3 comments:

  1. Cute fabrics! I love stripes.

    Try changing you serger needles first.
    My serger tends to skip stitches if I need to change needles, which admittedly I don't do as often as I should, but I've gotten better!

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. >>Debbie: Thanks for the tips, the ones I have are a probably a bit run down - I'm out of stock of the special cover stitch needles (ELX705) so I've kept these in the machine for quite a while now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If she doesn't love those sweet gifts I will be very surprised! The red & black PJ's are awesome. My serger has been very naughty, is skipping stitches, and it never occurred to me to change needles. Thanks for the tip - I guess I will try that before I spend $65 dropping it off at the shop for diagnosing!

    ReplyDelete