Wednesday, December 31, 2008

A year in sewing

My SWAP collection.

Can't believe it's time for a new year already! Anyhow, here comes a quick round up of my year of sewing.

Proudest achievements:
That I taught myself screen printing and placed fourth in the Timmel SWAP with my 11 piece collection (see the image above).

Favorite garments:
The screen printed dress, the knit tie cardigan and my new winter jacket.

Biggest flop:
My numerous attempts at making tennis skort/shorts. So far four wadders have been thrown in the bin.

Garments sewn:
I've lost count, but it has to be at least 30 pieces if I include the bags and the clothes I've made for the kids and my BF as well.

Stuff learned:
That preservance pays off. I've sewn regularly for 25 years and sucked royally the first 20. Now all of a sudden it's like I'm blessed with super powers or something - almost all my projects turn out exactly like I'd envisioned them. It feels both weird and wonderful.

I've also gotten started on a new project - making a pair of corduroy jeans. Pants always gives me the biggest headache, I hardly ever find something that fits in stores and making them myself is no picnic either. I managed to sew a pair of cords this spring that I really liked, but this brown corduroy has a slightly different hand, it's stiffer with less drape which is something I suspect will influence the outcome.


The striped shirting will be used for pockets and lining the waistband. I've nicked the latter idea from the Boden catalog.



And last but not least:

Happy new year to everyone!

6 comments:

  1. I love the shirting you chose for the pockets and facing! I use shirting fabrics also - got the idea from my husband's Lands End trousers.

    Happy New Year! and may your sewing mojo keep up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your writing style and have really enjoyed your blog since finding it in the past few months. I love the wardrobe photo at the top. Very, very inspiring. And, I love the shirting idea. I don't know that I will ever make a garment again without a fun contrast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blue wardrobe. And I really like that shirting used as lining too. Very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great shirting and your SWAP was one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  5. >>Luckylibbet: You know I think shirting might be my next obsession, I've seen that Boden lines some of their more casual coats and jackets with cotton shirting as well. Sounds much cozier than cold slippery acetate.
    >>Cidell: Thank you! I'm super flattered. I really enjoy your blog too, it has such a joyous and enthusiastic vibe, not to mention all the stylish clothes you make! Good luck with your SWAP, I loved (almost) every minute of it and it really helped me sew more cohesive.
    >>Lory and Betty: Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. >>Lori: Sorry that I misspelled your name and Blogger doesn't let me edit my replies.

    ReplyDelete